Upcoming ASBC Talk: Tuesday, May 28, 2013 at the Pacific Forestry Centre (Note changed date) :
Title:Discovering the Colwood Dairy and Cheese House:
A rare Puget Sound Agricultural Company farm building
Stuart Stark will give an illustrated talk about finding a "lost" building of the 1850's – the third oldest building in the Capital Region, situated in Colwood. The Puget Sound Agricultural Company was a subsidiary of the Hudson’s Bay Company, charged with producing food and materials to support the Bay’s trading posts. Captain Edward Langford was hired to build and manage what was originally named the Esquimalt Farm; he named the house he built there “Colwood”, after his house in Sussex. The dairy is the last surviving structure of the farm. Historic research, using maps and letters, coupled with revealing archaeological finds (made by members of the ASBC) give a wonderful overview of one of the earliest agricultural settlements on Vancouver Island.
Stuart Stark is a Heritage Consultant, who has specialized in the conservation and restoration of historic sites for over 30 years. He directed the restoration of the Chapel at St. Ann's Academy, and has worked or the restoration of Point Ellice House, Emily Carr House, the Courtroom at the Maritime Museum and Craigflower Manor and Schoolhouse. Mostly working in Victoria, he has also worked on a sternwheeler and telegraph office in the Yukon, and on buildings in both Barkerville and Fort Steele. Further afield, he wrote a comprehensive report on the restoration of the Entrance Hall of Dundurn Castle in Hamilton Ontario. Most recently he has written conservation reports for both Helmcken House and St Ann's Pioneer Convent and Schoolhouse, both buildings managed by the Royal BC Museum. He also lectures and writes about early architecture and local history.